On Dec 16, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Patco wrote:
aws a écrit :
A general method for latency measurement of any system is described in this paper: Matthew Wright, Ryan Cassidy, Michael Zbyszynski, Audio and Gesture Latency Measurements on Linux and OSX, Proceedings of ICMC 2004, Miami

or just connect ãudio input to audio output of the soundcard and take a measure with some patch magics.

Exactly. That's what I said a few mails ago. Try doc/7.stuff/tools/ latency.pd ... however it doesn't seem to be super precise. Do you have any ideas on how to make it more precise?

And then how is one supposed to be able to get the above paper? It doesn't seem to be online.

Apart from measuring the echo time of a click like what Miller's patch already does, the only other way I've thought of, is playing a linear chirp, and then mix it with an offset copy of itself using adc/dac as the delay line. This will cause a beat phenomenon, whose frequency can be quite precisely measured (yes?).

Such a technique would allow for the measurement of jitter as well, which really should be considered at least as much as latency.