Peter! You're the man.  That opens so many possibilities for me.  Thanks!
Always wondered what the difference was there.

I will look into vasp.

Kevin

On 12/25/06, Peter Plessas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Kevin,

i think you are getting dropouts when using arrays since the graphical
data in the array object is being updated. Use the [table] object (which
is the same as an array, but without the graphical display right
visible. The waveform is accessible once you double-click it).

Using arrays/tables you can also loop backwards, which is not possible
using delread/write.

So you would have to write into an array cyclically (phasor~ is your
friend here), and read at the same position, feeding back the audio
signal from the tabread to tabwrite, thus creating a loop.

You would have to force pd to do this one after the other ("order
forcing") by putting the into a subpatch each, and connect those
subpatches via audio patch cords. (there is also something on this topic
in the help patches in you doc folder i think).

Once you got this working, don't forget to check out the "vasp" library!

Good luck,

Peter

Kevin McCoy wrote:
> Hello listy,
>
> A lot of my friends play instruments I would like to process in
> realtime.  I
> understand that one popular approach is with delay objects.  At first I
was
> wondering if there was a special array that didn't give dropouts when it
> was
> rewritten in realtime.  I don't think there is?
>
> But similar things could be accomplished if there was a way to access a
> [delaywrite~] buffer as dynamically as you can an array.  One example
would
> be reading the buffer backwards?
>
> I'm eventually looking to build something similar to one of those Boss
> Loopstations where you can overdub, reverse, etc in realtime.
>
> Granted, I know next to nothing about how these things are actually
coded
> inside, but I thought I would pose the question and ask for ideas.
>
> Thank you!
> Kevin

"[D]aily life [is] a theatrical landscape in which 'everyone has their
price,' God (via televangelism) and happiness (smile buttons) become
commodities, radio stations say they love you, and detergents have
compassion for your hands.