On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
we don't provide linux binaries because of dependency issues.
(chances are low that my binary will work on your machine)

This is something that gets fixed using static linking, no? But perhaps making correct static linking while building a shared library is not so easy, compared to making a standalone app.

A few years ago, I had written this line, in order to compile with libruby.a and still produce a .so :

  lib = "-Wl,--whole-archive"+lib+"-Wl,--no-whole-archive" unless OSX

You give those options to GCC, but the "-Wl," means "delegate the following option directly to LD"

Have you ever tried that?