hola john
thx for your thoughtful post.

thankyou for reading :)
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Fernando Gadea <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

1- physical instruments

well, yes; body, rhythm, instruments, music.

but i think there is also something interesting in 'mental' music. or
music that is achieved only through programming sounds. like those old
vienese [and of course other places too] used to do with paper and pen

Yes, of course there is something interesting and passionate in "mental" music too (if I could I would bring the last beethoven as a witness). I think that nobody programing in puredata (or csound or any other "think before" environment) could say something against that. I was only reffering to a personal need, because it is me who wants to have a physical composing/performing complement. I also believe that live coding certainly does require a lot of mental work as it is very close to live composing, and just willing to do it is enough demonstration of passion for me. May be what I didn´t say but I should have, in order to make my point, was that I believe that a musician should be (or at least is allowed to be) absolutly selfish, meaning that he should not care (if he doesn´t want to) about what others say he should do or behave like in a live situation. Let´s say, he shouldn´t care about others saying that "he misses rock&roll" because he wants to be physical in performing, he shouldn´t care about others saying "he is taking a stand up nap to a playlist", and so on. Musicians can (and sometimes do) choose even not to perform live, or even not to perform and only make studio editing art. If making what the public wants is the goal we might end in an eschizofrenic road (and no one in public will pay for your shrink).
2- About academic-high culture-Art and popular-low culture-art

this is a religious war- completely outside the bounds of rationality.
and really, i don't care which 'club' an artist comes from: i just
want their work to captivate me.

If he does I take it as a happy coincidence. If he does not I only hope the musician finds his proper public in order for him to be able to go on and feel happy sharing.
what makes something art? how do we know if it is any good?
there are no laws about this. people assert them periodically, but
they are soon enough forgotten.

I agree. Maybe it was not understood, but that was my point too. The only laws that fits what I think about it are "Art is what artists do" and "an artist is someone who feels that he is an artist"

ydego...@gmail.com escribió:
i really don't remember who brought that thing
of 'end of computer music' on that list,
i would mainly say, it's no good to limit oneself to computer
music, and generally for me, it's not enough.
I´d rather say that anyone should be free to take the limitations they want to impose to themselves for a creative environment.

i'm glad you quote Tarkowski and not another *kowski...

i like pan sonic

i like luc ferrari

i like savage republic

i'm going to see napalm death..

( just in case someone is lost )

and i never said my taste was the absolute one...
My mail wasn´t a personal answer to you, but forgive me if somehow I made you think that.

your arguments are not bad,
but soo long,
i just understood you would like a more physical
interaction with the computer.

saludos,
sevy

Yes, maybe I wrote too much and I should take care of that. thankyou for reading and answering :) . saludos,

Best,
Fernando