On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
On Nov 14, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
User-wise, there _is_ something inherently unique to the messagebox, but it happens to be exactly the difference that we'd like to eliminate.
Yeah, for clarification, there is nothing inherently unique in the implementation.

I don't mean that it's just a user-wise thing and thus not an implementation thing. I mean that it's a user-wise thing therefore you don't have the choice to imitate it using a special implementation, if you are going to imitate it faithfully.

The $-substitution isn't run on messageboxes when they get instantiated. That's the difference I'm talking about. This is also the difference that the new messagebox wouldn't imitate, so the new-style messageboxes wouldn't need weird hacks in the pd source; but if anyone wanted to reimplement old-style messageboxes, they'd need to find a way to disable $-substitution in that case.