On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, sonia yuditskaya wrote:

To re-phrase the problem; [pix_film] would neither accept filenames with a $1 in them or a %s.

No, [pix_film] does accept any symbol. Once the $1 has been processed by the messagebox, it is no longer a $1 (in the output of the messagebox).

And the %s is something else, it's only when processing the error message so that it states the filename so that you can know that the symbol has been understood properly. The error() command in pd's internals works somewhat like [makefilename] (though error() supports a lot more options).

In my case [pix_film] has consistently accepted filenames relative to the patch's folder,

Yeah, that was my mistake.

relative to Path however I have had no such success.

That might be a GridFlow-only feature and I didn't remember it. (?)

Despite numerous attempts I've never been able to compile/download and have form gridflow, so cannot check that.

I don't recall reading about your numerous attempts. Did you post about any of them ? In any case, there have been ready-to-use GridFlow packages for OSX for over a year and we have put a lot of hours in preparing them.

Hope despite the sparseness of detail, this illuminates something in someone's experience to draw the problem out?

So you say you're having a problem with that version of the patch that you sent in the bug tracker, and not with any other version that might, for example, use "set open $1" in combination with folder names that contain spaces, or other problematic characters (such as commas, semicolons, etc) ?