On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Patrick Serru <patr...@serru.net> wrote:

My first problem: when I run one of these commands from a
> terminal "Konsole", another window opens, where nothing is happening, and
> system resources are stretched, occupying one of the cores to 100%.

I suspect you're running into the problem described here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/pdcurses/bugs/86/

I should probably roll out a 3.5 to address this, since Xorg apparently
isn't going to fix it as I had anticipated, and I haven't made that much
progress on my single-process X backend. In the meantime, please try the
CVS version of PDCurses.

I wish I could write
> a non-blocking routine "is a character available?" that returns the
> character
> if available,

getch() is fine for this. Just call nodelay() first.

> and another displaying the characters passed as a parameter,
> assuming that the emulated terminal will execute the "\r" and "\n" as did
> teletype in 1970.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. However, everything from
addch() through printw() will interpret '\r' and '\n' as expected.