John is going digital!

>What I need help with is the computer.  Right now, my
>home computer is a 386.  I want to replace it, but
>cost is a major concern.

For goodness sake man, get a Mac!

>Keeping in mind cost and the fact that I can upgrade
>later, what should I be thinking about in terms of RAM
>and hard drive capacity?  Will 933MHz processing speed
>be enough?  Do I really need a .25 pitch, flat screen,
>17 inch monitor?

Seriously, for anything involving Photoshop, even the LE version, the
faster the CPU and the more the RAM you have, the better it is. If you
store your images on Zips, then HD capacity can be reduced, saving money.
A medium-fast CPU but bags of RAM will be better than a fast CPU but only
a bit of RAM. For Photoshop, you can *never* have enough RAM. 64MB, yes,
it will run - but as soon as you start chucking out hi-res images for
printing, it'll slow to a crawl. 128MB better, 256MB even betterer.

>In other works, what are the minimal requirements to
>do flatbed scanning and light-duty image manipulation?

Okay for that, and bearing in mind you're on a budget, look at a Pentium
266, 64MB RAM and at least a 2 GB drive. With a Mac, G3 is best, similar
hardware requirements.

But even more seriously, get a Mac!

Cotty

Cotty's MacAds - free UK Macintosh classified ads at www.macads.co.uk
Adverts to [EMAIL PROTECTED] / all  other  abuse to [EMAIL PROTECTED]