On 16 Dec 2002 at 4:51, Keith Whaley wrote:

> My question is, if I should measure to a stake placed at 5 feet, then
> one at 15 feet, could I expect a linearity all the way out to 50 feet
> and beyond?
> In other words, if I took the easy way out, and did an accurate
> measurement only at 10 or 15 feet, and the lens agreed with that, is
> it rational to assume that my measurement with split image rangefinder
> will be good for ALL distances shorter and longer than that just verified?

It should work but it would make the experiment far more accurate if one of the
measurements was quite close ie a metre or so. However the definitive method is
to focus onto ground glass across the film rails (using a loupe for
magnification) then comparing that with the image in the finder. If they
coincide then you'll be able to trust your finder focus aid.

A quick and dirty way to make a "ground glass" plate for placing across 35mm
film rails is to stick translucent scotch tape to a piece of glass from a 35mm
glass slide mount.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA