See interspersed comments below

Pål wrote:----------
>> I think at the end of it's life time the LX was 3x
as
>> expensive as it initially was.
>> Too expensive.
>> The desire for ultimate quality vanishes as prices
>> increase.

> Yes, but also the fact that there are limits on how
long you can sell the same
> product. At a certain point the market becomes
saturated and the used price is so much
> lower than new price that few are willing to pay for
a brand new one. When a product
> get old enough initial buyers can sell the thing for
the same they gave for it 10-15
> years earlier, something they are happy to do,
maintaining a "low" used priced
> compared to new price. This happened also with the
67; the used market was so full of
> it that few bought new ones anymore as good
second-hand samples were plentiful at
> significant savings.
>
> Pål

Yes this is true. But Pentax did not decide to keep LX
sales going over a longer time by releasing upgrades
of the LX or a successor model to the LX. OTOH they
did this with the 67 system by introducing the 67II.
My point is that (sure I am only guessing here) that
an "AF" LX with modern electronics would be too
expensive to find enough customers. This would be,
although such a camera would probably not be much more
expensive than the old LX would cost today (basically
the mechanics are the more expensive parts).

Camera reviewers have even complained about the MZ-S
being too expensive though it is actually moderately
priced for what it is. This is basically because you
can buy cheaper, but less well-made bodies that are
laden with more features.

Mike wrote: ----------------

>> If there was a modern Af camera that was built
>> according to the same quality level as the LX and
that
>> was accordingly priced (hint: where I live the
>> 31mm/1.8 ltd. lens is almost 4x as expensive as was
>> the K-series 28mm/2), and if your only option was
>> buy new, what would you choose: this one or a cheap
>> ZX/MZ-something plastic body? I think the market
has
>> already given the answer.
>>

>Alexander,
> I don't think the market has given the answer
because the market has not
> been given the actual choice. Yes, Pentax would
rather build ZX-5's and
> ZX-7's, and this probably means that it thinks it
can do so more profitably
> than it could build a camera such as you describe.
But that doesn't mean
> that the market wouldn't support an "AF LX" if one
were available. After
> all, Nikon sells plenty of F100s.

Yes, but I assume Pentax made their choice not
releasing a LX successor based on marketing research.
And it's market is not comparable to Nikon's. Nikon's
present share on the 35mm SLR world market is about
35% (if I am not wrong) while that of Pentax is only
10%. So there are much more potiential customers who
will likely upgrade to a F5-like camera (only few
beginners will start with a F5). When the LX was
introduced Pentax' market share was about 20%.

> Now speaking just for myself, I'd say that my tastes
and requirements are so
> highly evolved that I probably wouldn't be
interested in such a camera
> unless it had all the main features I'm personally
looking for.

This perfectly shows how much more difficult it is to
sell high end gear. Regardles how such a hypothetical
"AF-LX" will look like, they will convice only a
fraction of Pentax useres to buy one.
(BTW I would like to see a "AF"-LX)

Enjoy,
Alexander

> Those are:
>
> 1. A 98% or 100% viewfinder with good "snap" for
easy manual focusing
> 2. Quiet operation
> 3. Short shutter lag (i.e., good responsiveness)
> 4. Ability to use manual focus as well as AF lenses
> 5. Aperture-priority AE
> 6. AE lock
> 7. Non-resetting ISO
> 8. Diopter adjustment or add-on diopters
> 9. Moderate size and light to medium weight (say, up
to 26 oz. or so) for
> decent portability
> 10. General straightforwardness of controls and ease
of operation, and not
> too many extra controls and features confusing
everything.

> I'd *certainly* be using an LX if only it had #2, >
and I'd probably be using
> an MZ-S if it had #1.
>
> The problem for a camera designer would be that in
order to satisfy the "top
> ten" features lists of a LARGE number of
photographers, they have to have a
> great deal of capability and it has to be very
see-through, i.e., it
> couldn't be very confusing or feature-laden and it
couldn't "dictate" the
> way it had to be used, but it would have to be able
to satisfy ALL of any
> particular advanced photographer's wants. This is a
very large order, and
> it's got to be damnably tough for a camera designer
to accommodate.

> For instance, one thing I didn't list is flash
capability or high sync
> speed, because I don't use flash and I don't give a
damn about it. But it's
> very easy to anticipate that many, if not most,
photographers would demand
> excellent flash capability. I haven't specified
mirror lock-up or low
> vibration because I don't do closeup work or
astrophotography. But for
> someone who did either of those things, those
features would be mandatory.

> Slide photographers may not give a hoot for a 100%
viewfinder; others would
> be very concerned with motor drive capability;
landscape photographers may
> well not care about quiet operation; and the list
goes on and on.

> What Abe Lincoln said really holds true here. "You
can satisfy some of the
> people all of the time, and all of the people some
of the time, but you
> can't satisfy all of the people all of the time."
>
> No matter WHAT an AF LX would look like, there would
still be people who
> would find fault with it, be disappointed with it,
or loudly complain that
> it is missing the one essential feature they wanted.
Designing cameras must