Unfortunately Leine's is now owned by Miller Brewing Co, altlhough the Leinenkugel Co continues to brew their beer. I particularly like their Northwoods Lager and Creamy Dark. My wife likes the Honeyweiss.

DG

At 07:10 PM 12/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> If you're ever anywhere north of Milwaukee, try Leinenkugel's. It's a local
>  microbrewery that's recently expanded dramatically....and gone nearly
>  state-wide! I remember when you had to start in Milwaukee and drive north
>  for hours before you could buy any. Those were the days.

Old but true story.

In the 70's, I lived in Wisconsin.  Phillip Morris acquired a major brewer,
the Schlitz Beer Company from the family that owned it in Milwaukee.  At a
professional meeting one evening, I spent time talking to a Phillip Morris
consultant visiting with Schlitz.  He outlined Phillip Morris's strategy for
me.  They were bound and determined to drive all of the small breweries out
of the business.  "In ten years, there will only be 4 or 5 beers sold in the
USA."  I subsequently watched Miller (Phillip Morris) and Budwieser (Anheuser
Busch) battle it out for control of the USA.  They forced all the smaller,
local breweries off the store shelves and out of the bars.  They put them out
of business.

Then 15 years later, the wheel turned full circle.  We went to a surprise
birthday party in Milwaukee.  A former brewery employee had opened a craft
brewery and bottling line for a new beer.  Since then, the craft brewers are
back big time!

Regards,  Bob S.