Hi,

John wrote:

>       My MZ-S was purchased
>       in September of 2001, and the shutter release is very light initially - no
>       more than just taking up the slack rather than pushing on it.  There is then
>       a very definite resistance, at which it is easy to hold it while the system
>       focuses and measures the exposure.  I wonder whether some of we users have
>       given the impression in this discussion that there is a need for more
>       pressure initially than is really the case: one needs really only rest the
>       finger on the button for it to go to the first position.

It was more that Paal described it as something like "two-step"
(not a direct quote) which is not the way I have found it to
be.  I don't have any difficulties with the MZ-S shutter button
technically.  I just prefer the button on my Z1-p, which is a
definite two-stepper.  The MZ-S button on the body I am using
needs much (much!) more force than any other I have used.
Combined with the sticky [sticky is not the right word - it is
more like the shutter button, needing too much force for my
liking] (but not positive) on/off switch, I strongly suspect
that it is defective.  A number of other posters have agreed
with me - my present thoughts on the matter are that there is a
possible QC problem or that there are differing buttons for
different markets.

Another plus for the Z1-p for me is that I have found, on
occasion, that I am trying to press in a place other than the
shutter button with the MZ-S.  The Z's button is in the bottom
of a dip in the body's surface that guides your finger to it.

mike