Gregory wrote:
>I'm looking for a zoom lens that goes to 300mm or so.  I can't afford a
>good one, but I don't want to scrape the $100 bottom of the barrel.  I
>want the second from the bottom of the barrel.  Some lenses, which seem
>about what I'm looking for, from B&H's web site are
>
>  Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 $189
>  Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 $209
>  Pheonix 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7 $200
>  Pentax 80-320mm f/4.5-5.6 $200

I can recommend either the Pentax or the Sigma as I have them both. I
actually have the 80-300 APO Macro Super version of the Sigma which is more
expensive than the DL, may be marginally sharper at the long end but I
don't think there's much in it if I remember the magazine tests.
I think that really, the only differences you'll find is that the sigma
comes with a case and lens hood and the pentax doesn't (I don't think)
Oh yes, and the new pentax 80-320 is silver (but that should look okay on
your ZX-L).
For me, the Sigma has the edge for its looks but that's all.

---
Wendy Beard
Mosaid Technologies Inc
11 Hines Rd, Kanata,