Paul Franklin Stregevsky said:

> Gregory,
>
> You didn't state that the zoom must be autofocus. If it needn't be, and if
> you're lucky and patient, you might find the superb Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4
> in the same price range ($200). Among zooms that reach 300mm, the Tokina is
> about as good as it gets and a good stop brighter.

Well, I'd rather collect auto gear now that I have a new auto camera.

> As for flash that won't turn off, you might be better served by using a
> flash that can accept an outboard battery like a Quantum. For maximum guide
> number for the dollar, you will, of course, want to look at third party
> offerings from Vivitar and others.

Outboard batteries are new territory for me, I have no feel for the
availability or use of that sort of equipment.  It sounds expensive.
Flashes with outboard batteries don't turn off?

I do check eBay now and then, but don't know what to think of most of
what's offered except that it's in the $100 range that I wanted to step
(slightly) above.

> I'm fairly familiar with ProMaster (and its twin, Ritz Quantaray); the two
> or three top offerings, the FTD-5600, -5700, and -5950 (GN 130 at 35mm) do
> shut off, but not several "lower" models that offer a guide number of 100 at
> 28mm: FTD-5400, -5500, and 5500DX. By the way, that's 28mm built-in; no

I'm looking for auto zoom right now.  I have a new auto camera, so I want
auto stuff for it.  100 ft at 28mm should be some happy guide number at
85mm or 105 mm.

> diffuser needed, according to an email to me from Promaster
> (http://www.promaster.com). These models require the Pentax AF module. Other

Pentax AF module?  I don't know what that is, but I'll bet it's another
$50.  Every little cap, swivel, and extension cord related to photography
seems to run for about $50.

> models are dedicated to Pentax AF bodies, but I don't know whether they
> offer "always on"; check the site. Ritz is at http://www.ritzcamera.com .

I'll poke around and see what I can find.  Thanks.