>> Another one I would love to have is F* 300mm/4,5 but it will costs me two
>> times more money (at least). Anyway, I would buy this F* if it is really much,
>> much better than those Takumar.

The F* 300/4.5 is worth every penny.  Great lens, one of Pentax' best
efforts.

>> Another thing that makes me very surprised is that lenses as fast as 2,8 are
>> thousands of dollars more expensive than 4,5 - is this one f-stop really worth
>> so much money? Especially when I can get this one "f-stop"
>> buying faster film.

The Tokina 300/2.8 AT-X in manual focus usually costs about $850 used
in very good shape. It is a bargain in big glass. But is it better
than the F* 300/4.5? No, but optically it is just as good, and it
becomes a very good 510/f5 when used with the Pentax 1.7x AF Adapter.

As for the other 300/2.8 lenses, that quickly becomes a matter of
taste and need. I would not spend two thousand or more for an
autofocus 300/2.8 or 400/2.8, but I did spend several thousand on a
600/4. Go figure.

To me, a great 300/4 with a well-matched 1.4x teleconverter is the
best birding combination around. But it is not nearly long enough -
you really need at least 600mm to be happy ;-).

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com