" W. Krasowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>From: "Shaun Canning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> The 1.7x AF adapters are great. I use one with a Tokina 300 f2.8 MF to
>> give me a 510mm f4.5 as John Mustarde commented. It is a fantastic
>> set-up. You should be able to pick up one of these adapters on e-bay for
>> less than $100.00 USD (I think I paid $89 USD for mine).
>
>Thank you folks for your opinion!
>
>Shaun,
>Is it fast while AF-ing? What about noise level?
>It is important to me as I shoot birds mainly.

I've found the AF very fast (as long as you're using it with an 2.8 or so
lens) - probably because the moving mass of the focusing elements is so low.
I've shot mototsports with my Sigma 300/2.8 and the 1.7x AF converter and
even on the old PZ-1p it was plenty fast enough. I have some shots at
http://www.robertstech.com/mid-ohio.htm

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing