Mike said:

> Yeah, why is that? I'm really kind of mystified that _no_ inkjet printer
> manufacturer has come out with a dedicated B&W printer. You'd think they
> could take a 3- or 4-ink printer, replace the inks, write some new software,
> and voilá, there you'd have it. Considering all the printers on the market,
> you'd think it would be easy enough to do. It's not like nobody wants it.
> It's obviously a niche market, but it's not like it would cost a zillion
> dollars to go after it.

Find an appropriate conversion of shades to colors in Photoshop and you
won't even need new software, just the graded set of inks.

It used to be the case that some ink cartridges could be refilled by hand.
If you could get those, maybe you can mix your own shades by appropriate
proportions of black ink and solvent.  Something to do if you have a lot
of time on your hands...