Check out this B&W test shot (no artistry) I took today
with the Vivitar Series 1 28mm F1.9
(VMC, M42 version):

http://jcoconnell.com/temp/otherpool01s.jpg

The scene contrast range is enormous ( the raw histogram
was very wide) yet there is excellent detail
in the extreme highlights as well as the deep shadows.
I made a print from the full rez scan and it's
very sharp indeed. I initially really liked this lens for color
but its great for B&W too. Great micro contrast.
I ebay scored this lens a few months back for $99 mint. :)
Highly recommended if you can get lucky & find one. Oh yeah,
The F1.9 makes it a joy to focus ( manually of course ).
Never liked the darkish 28mm F3.5 SMCT as far as focussing
goes, this is way nicer.

One last thing, KODAK, don't you ever take my TMAX 100
away like you did Kodachrome 25!!! I've been so happy
with my tweeked 35mm TMAX100 scans lately, I dont even
feel like shooting color or P67 anymore. Well, at least
for a while.....

Techie stuff:
Lens VS1 28mm F1.9 VMC (M42)
Camera - 1969 vintage Asahi Pentax SL ( who needs a stinking meter???)
Tmax 100 (old formula)
Normal development w/ Tmax Dev.
1/250 @ F9.5 ( sunny f16 rule @ ISO 90 )
Epson 2450 scanner
Optimized with PS6.0

J.C. O'Connell  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My Business references & Websites: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jco/