> Check out this B&W test shot (no artistry) I took today with the
> Vivitar Series 1 28mm F1.9 (VMC, M42 version):
> http://jcoconnell.com/temp/otherpool01s.jpg

Oh, sure, JCO, stretched out by the pool, sipping an iced tea (or
some other preferred beverage), taking test photos...  OK, so how
did you keep your toes out of the frame?  ;-)

> The scene contrast range is enormous ( the raw histogram
> was very wide) yet there is excellent detail
> in the extreme highlights as well as the deep shadows.

Hmmm...  I've gotta go use this lens more than I do...

> I made a print from the full rez scan and it's very sharp indeed.
> I initially really liked this lens for color but its great for B&W
> too. Great micro contrast. I ebay scored this lens a few months
> back for $99 mint. :) Highly recommended if you can get lucky &
> find one.

Yes, it ~is~ indeed a good lens.

> Oh yeah, The F1.9 makes it a joy to focus ( manually of
> course ). Never liked the darkish 28mm F3.5 SMCT as far as
> focussing goes, this is way nicer.

True, but the SMCT/SMCP 28/3.5 design is still impressive.

Fred