Hi John.

Comments interspersed:

>Cleethorpes, which is cheek-by-jowl with Great Grimsby (you
>are clearly a man "in the know" about this "Great" place!),

Honest, I dragged a box on my routeplanner between Sunderland and London,
and right a bit to the coast. That area is about half-way, and on the
sea. I've never been.

>is an ideal base for photographing the seals at Donna Nook,
>just south of the mouth of the Humber estuary.  Doona Nook
>gets busy at weekends but it is the #1 seal photo site in
>the UK.  Now that the North Sea seal distemper virus
>outbreak appears to be over, restrictions on access to Donna
>Nook will soon be withdrawn, if they haven't already.

Donna's Nook will do nicely :-)

>Cleethorpes is also a good base for photographing the local
>fens and "Dutch houses".  The Fens of North East
>Lincolnshire differ substantially from those in East Anglia
>because they remain much as they were when built in the 17th
>century.

That sounds great.

>If I recall correctly, the builder of the Dutch-style fen
>drainage system, with it field drains, carrier drains and
>man-made "rivers" and dykes (clay embankments) was
>Vermuyden, who settled in the area with many of the Dutch
>workers after the system was complete.  This explains the
>existence of the enchanting "Dutch houses", a surprising
>number of which still remain despite the tendency for the
>land to subside, taking the foundations with it.

The history! The history!

>The East Anglian fens have lost the vast majority of 17th
>and 18th century features because of the vast changes to the
>landscape that have taken place in the succeeding centuries.
>Not so the North East Lincolnshire fens, where many
>(photographically) charming, nay enticing, features remain.
>Not a lot of people know that!

We've got a fens but it keeps falling down. Boom boom.

>Of course Cleethorpes is a traditional and fairly downmarket
>bucket-and-spade, kiss-me-quick and fish-and-chips seaside
>resort, but it is actually quite refreshing to "slum it"
>every now and again <g>.  Skegness is actually slightly more
>refined but it lacks the sheer wealth of photo opportunities
>that the area around Cleethorpes boasts.

I'm sold. So does this mean you're willing to co-ordinate? You da man!

>B&B in Cleethorpes is cheap, with top quality local bacon,
>eggs and tomatoes forming the "Full English" breakfast.

That's the best thing you've written ;-)

Seriously, it sounds V. interesting and I'd be up for that. Just need a
Fawlty Towers to hole up in...

Cotty

Oh, swipe me! He paints with light!
http://www.macads.co.uk/snaps/