First of all, re this thread title, it's not D10, it's 10D. "Pendant" I may
be, but these errors are potentially confusing. (For instance, the D1 is a
Nikon, the 1D is a Canon.)

> And then there will be the interminable PDML threads a year or so
> from now when we will all (some more than others) be bemoaning why
> Pentax has abandoned any future DSLR plans due to lack of sales for
> the *ist.

I very much doubt that will happen. DSLRs are selling like hotcakes these
days, and if the grumpy old PDMLers don't care, there are plenty of people
out there who will. My local camera store--which happens to be the biggest
Pentax dealer in Wisconsin--mainly complains about DSLRs that they just
can't get enough to sell. They sold many Canon D60s but I never even got to
see one, because they were in and out of the door so fast.

This may surprise some of you, but many people who buy cameras could care
less about lens compatibility. They buy a camera, they buy a lens for it,
end of problem. The majority of people who buy SLRs these days buy a "kit"
that includes a lens (sometimes two) and then never buy another lens.

I really got a laugh out of the fact that Pentax SPECIFIED that the *ist D
will work with screwmount lenses. To me, that's proof positive that they
monitor this list. Not one in a thousand average camera customers cares
about such arcana.

--Mike

P.S. One of my "photo friends" wrote to me when he first saw the news about
the Canon 10D that it was a big disappointment and he was certainly not
going to "jump." Later the same day I got a message from him saying that he
had just ordered one.