Rick wrote:

> Fortunately, that is *not* my view on this matter.
> How is the Pentax's ZX series compete realistically
> with the Canon's stuff?  And yet, the ZX series are
> great sellers and compete very well with the Canons as
> well as the Nikons in the consumer line of stuff.

That is beacuse they don't look or operate like Nikons or Canon but are highly
individualistic and sells on their own terms. The only thing remotely like the Pentax
MZ-5 in interface is the Nikon F4.

>I think Pentax should serve a niche
> market where there is no competition for their cameras
> if they hope to make money at all.  I hope with the
> *ist, they are doing just that..

Agreed, but that is not what they are doing. They release a camera that is very close
to the competition both in price, features and looks. By July the Olympus 4/3 may be
here as well and they are certainly going to price their camera aggresively as they
have no customers sitting on inventory of lenses making them buy it no matter what.
The Canon D10 is going to approach $1000 by the end of the year.

Pål