Herb Chong [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"you have a monitor that does 4K x 3K. they exist."

Herb,
12 megapixel displays don't exist, except possibly in the rarefied world of
grayscale medical CRTs. Even then, I doubt it.

Maybe you're thinking of virtual desktops. On older operating systems,
companies like Matrox, ATI, and Number Nine offered "virtual desktops" that
let you double or even quadruple the maximum resolution that could be seen
at once. All you had to do was to move your mouse cursor beyond the edge of
the display, and the hidden part of the desktop would instantly pan into
view.

I lived for these virtual desktops. When writing a one-page essay in
9.5-point type, I could use Matrox's Double Tall virtual desktop, which
turned a display resolution of 1600 by 12000 into a virtual resolution of
3200 by 1200. In this way, I could magnify the page to about 200 percent to
work comfortably, and never have to use FrameMaker's scroll arrow.

Unfortunately, starting with Windows 2000 Microsoft banned the use of
virtual screens. Their reasoning: "You don't need them anymore; just buy a
second monitor." As though setting two monitors across lets me achieve twice
the height.

For about $1400 you can have a pair of 2,048 x 1,536 CRTs running at 85 Hz
side by side, giving you 6.2 million pixels (3.1 million each). For the same
price ($600 per monitor, $100 per card), you can "goose" a pair of Matrox
boards to each run a single CRT at 4.1 million pixels, yielding 8.2 million
for a pair.

Or, if you have the space, set up four such displays.

Short of buying one of those IBM 9.1 megapixel flat displays, using a
high-end CRT with a Matrox monitor is the only way to see more than 3.1
million pixels at once.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]