From: Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:56:39 -0800 (PST)

I was under the impression that Pentax "K" and newer
bodies worked with "Stepless" metering? That is, the
camera body closes down the aperture to the setting
you input. If you set f/8 on the lens, the camera body
sets that aperture the moment the shot is made, then
opens up full again. Am I wrong?
*I thought the only time you could "see" the effect of
the set aperture was by either actuating DOF preview
or taking the shot? Am I dead wrong?
Why then would not an *st or *st-D body do the same?

The *ist does not have a standard K-mount (but the *ist D will probably have, so we leave the D out of this discussion). According to Pentax U.S.A, U.K and Scandinavia, K and M lenses and accessories are not compatible with the *ist. (I thought that if I ask Pentax distributors in three different countries, then the chances that I can get a correct answer is much higher than if I only ask in one country :-) ).

Now, I once posted in this forum a scenario when one uses a M lens with the *ist. I wrote that if I have the M f/2.8 on an *ist, wouldn't it then be possible to meter it at f/2.8 (and getting, for example, 1/250) then I set it to f/5.6 and adjust the shutter to 1/60 and fire away.
I got several messages that this was incorrect, and that K and M lenses only could work on the *ist at the widest aperture, because the *ist lacks the stop down lever.

Now I have seen other messages telling the contrary.
So, I'm feeling rather confused right now. I'm going to have a hot bath and meditate in the bubbles. I might eventuelly come back, yelling "Heureka!" at some improper time.

:-)

Best wishes,
Roland

_________________________________________________________________ Lättare att hitta drömresan med MSN Resor http://www.msn.se/resor/