I probably will wait until the *ist D is available.
But 3 things concern me.

1.  Nikon's D100 is now ahead of the *ist D in terms
of a learning curve-ie bugs, firmware updates, etc.
Will the *ist D be perfect out of the box?  I highly
doubt it, but I guess that's the price you pay to wait
for it.

2.  Nikon now has a line of internal focussing &
vibration reduction lenses-Pentax???

3.  Price.  I can now buy a D100 for around $1500, use
my AMEX buyer's guarantee program to price match down
another $250, making my final purchase price $1250.
Will the *ist D be in that price range?

Thanks for the encouragement.  It's getting harder
every day that I see the D100 prices drop!