Hi!

I couldn't agree more. Take Linux for example <wink>.

There is another point to what you saying, Doug. I think that
shareware/freeware usually written by a single programmer during their
off hours like a weekend mechanic has much less ambition than similar
piece of quite often junk written by a group of paid programmers.

To make a rough comparison - William Robb recently mentioned how good
it was to return to be an amateur (or unpaid photographer) - to be
able to watch the scene until the light goes away. I suppose here it
is very similar. As a professional programmer I often have/had to do
things that I wouldn't do in my normal mind, but I was given
instructions and I had no choice. Same problem, isn't it?

Only rarely a programmer finds a job where they not only earn their
living, but also enjoy what they're doing. I guess it applies to all
professions.

Shaking a hand of a fellow professional <grin>.

Boris