On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, William Robb wrote:

> [...]

Isn't the *ist D based on the *ist film body?  The Nikon D100 is, for all
that nikon would have you believe, basically just a digital back on an N80
film body.  Obviously, this sort of thing saves a lot of development and
production costs compared to creating an entirely new camera just for
digital (which only Nikon and Olympus have done, really).

Problem is, basing a digital on the top-of-the-line film camera means that
it costs an awful lot, and is often big and heavy.  Only the canon
EOS-1D/Ds cameras are based on top-of-the-line film cameras (EOS1Vs), and
they were at the time of introduction the most expensive things out there
in their class.
Basing a digital on the middle and bottom-of-the-line cameras means
 that you don't get all the features that might be nice.  A $20 or
whatever feature is a trivial  addition to a $1700 digital but probably a
noticeable addition to the  $200-$300 film camera it is based on.  Price
competition is pretty tight down there at the entry level.

DJE