Thomas, I have the A* 300/2.8 and I simply love it.
Before I got mine I tried the Tamron 300/2.8 manual
focus (ugly green color) with the adaptall PKA adapter.
I think the Pentax is slightly better optically but the
main point why I prefer the Pentax is I don't like using
any adapter mechanics when using such a heavy lens.
The camera body attached to the Tamron with the PKA
adapter made the mount feel wobbly which I did not like
at all.

I don't really know a fair price for the lens on today's
market, but I got mine for about EUR 1600 way back in the last
century...

Handhelding is pretty nice with this lens, even though
it weights close to 3kg. I have gotten better pictures
handheld with this than with "lighter" lenses of similar
focal length. Believe it or not, the mass of the lens
helps keeping the camera more steady than with a lighter
lens of similar focal length (like using a massive
tripod instead of a lightweight tripod). I've gotten
perfect handheld shots at 1/250s with my Z-1 and LX cameras.
Sometimes I use the A* 300/2.8 together with the A 2X-L
teleconverter, also handheld, with great results.

The 300/2.8 + LX is a heavy combination to carry around but
the good point is one does not need to visit the gym that
often ;-). Using a monopod would help to prevent your hands
getting weak if you need to track your subjects for a long time.

AF could be nice but so far I have been satisfied with the manual
focus and the occasional 1.7X AF-adapter "AF assisted manual focus"
approach.

You will face the same kinds of "ISO" problems with digital (more noise
instead of more grain when you go to higher sensitivity)... and you will

want as fast lens as you can afford and which is available.

Antti-Pekka

---
Antti-Pekka Virjonen
Computec Oy, Turku Finland