> There is also a thing called hyper something or other.
> The word hyper scared me off, and I still don't know
> what hyper whatever does.

Probably my favourite feature (also found on the PZ-1p).

If you put the camera in HyperProgram mode then it starts
off in full-program point-and-shoot mode.  Turn the front
finger-wheel to select a shutter speed and the camera will
automatically switch to Shutter Priority, maintaining the
shutter speed you selected.  Turn the rear thumb-wheel
instead to select an aperture value and the camera will
switch to Aperture Priority mode.  Whenever you explicitly
choose a setting (shutter speed or aperture) the camera
keeps that value, and adjusts the other setting to expose
the image properly (according to the current metering mode).
And if you want to go back to full program mode just push
the button marked with the little green dot.

On the PZ-1p, but not on the *ist-D as far as I can see,
there's also a HyperManual mode.  It's basically metered
manual, except that whenever you push the green button the
camera will adjust either the shutter speed or the aperture
(or both; which to change is a user-selectable preference)
to whatever the metering system says for correct exposure.
If you don't like the combination the camera chooses then
simply push the ML button to lock the exposure and adjust
either the shutter speed or the aperture; the camera will
adjust the other one to maintain the same exposure value.