> John, thank for the explanation.
> What you are describing is what I call Program Shift
> (I come from a simpler era).

It is a form of program shift, although not the usual one.
On the Canons, for example, using Program Shift will simply
bias the camera away from the default program line so that
it uses a faster (or slower) shutter speed.  The camera will
still change both shutter speed and aperture if the lighting
changes.  In the Pentax HyperProgram mode (really two modes)
the value explicitly selected by the user is sacrosanct.

There are times when I'd like a more traditional Program Shift,
(basically a rapid-access fine-grained control to switch between
a spectrum of "green" modes; Action program, DOF program, ...),
but most of the time I find the HyperProgram mode far more useful.
The big drawback of a traditional Program Shift is that, just like
any full-program mode, the camera can change it's mind between the
time you preview the readings in the viewfinder and the time the
shutter fires a fraction of a second later.