Well, NPC's fiber optic bundle would be one way of fitting a digital back on a non-interchangeable back camera. However, one only needs to look at the prices of NPC's Polaroid backs for 35mm cameras to see that that is not a cheap solution. Pentax could probably make a dedicated 645 digital camera body for the same premium.

Also, 42x56mm sensors are not going to be down into the $3000 range soon. To my way of thinking using a 24x36mm sensor on a medium format camera is even worse than using a smaller sensor on a 35mm camera. I mean have you priced an ultra-wide-angle medium-format lens lately? I think most of the digital backs being used on Blads and Rolleis are mostly used for portraiture type work where you do not need wide-angle lenses and the film normal works as a great portrait lens.

I still keep thinking that something along the lines of the strange late Rollei 2000, 2002, 3000 series 35mm cameras would be the perfect basis for a film/digital camera. For those who do not remember those, they were 35mm's with a modular design similar to the Bronica ERTSi's including interchangeable backs which would solve the main problem.