> I hadn't really realized how much legitimate (or maybe illegitimate) scamming
> goes on. Especially on high ticket items like camera equipment.

What you described is clearly illegitimate scamming.  But yes, it is
rife; just check out the feedback about the lowball advertisers in
any photo magazine.  Don't let the "seal of approval" from the rag
fool you - that's for sale to anyone who buys enough advertisng.

Legitimate scamming (if such a thing exists :-) would be folks like
B&H, Adorama, CameraWorld, ... charging amazingly similar prices to
the early-adopters.  Now the camera is more readily available, so I
would expect the profits to be trimmed before too long.

Bait-and-switch, or unadvertised pre-conditions, are illegal. Dealer
markup isn't - it's just the price of impatience.  Nobody forced me
to buy my *ist-D a month ago, just like nobody forced me to buy our
Mini from the dealership with a three-month waitlist instead of from
a dealer with a twelve-month delivery forecast.