[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I find Manfrotto/Bogen to be very solidly built and sturdy,
> but also heavy and more expensive than average.  They are a
> pro company and make tripods all the way up to the size you
> could put artillery on.
> They make a great range of tripods, too.

I thought a 67 with a 300mm lens WAS artillery!

> Personally I use a tripod very rarely so I bought a tripod
> designed not
> for flexibility or light weight but for stability.   I've
> also got a bogen
> monopod that has been holding up long telephotos 3 days a
> week for 15 years.

That would be my priority too.

> Carbon fiber is nice, but REALLY spendy.

That rules out carbon fibre for me, it's too light as well and whilst I know
it's a strong material, I prefer the weight - particularly as I often use a
tripod in high exposed areas, where the wind whips up a bit.

Malcolm