On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 13:15 America/New_York, John Francis wrote:

Exactly my feelings when I saw the original posting.
You know what they say about who blames the tools ...

I don't see anything in the article that blamed the tools. They blamed it on an over-reliance of PowerPoint presentations. Not on PowerPoint itself. I think they blamed the users for misusing the tools.

I would have been tickled had it not been for the fact that lives could have been saved. I was at one of Tufte's lectures about ten years ago. In that lecture, he described how a poorly designed presentation caused NASA managers to err on a shuttle launch on a too cold day leading to the loss of the shuttle Challenger in 1986.

It's scary that problems similar to the ones they had 17 years ago may have contributed to the loss of the Columbia.

--jc