Tanya, same thing as what Arnie says, but even more. you have to figure your
break even rate, what you need to run your business and stay open. cost of
materials is a small portion of that total and that is entirely billed to
your clients. you have obvious business expenses like equipment, telephone,
computer, software, insurance, travel, advertising, and so on. anything you
can claim on your income tax forms as identifiably for business use should
be included as part of the cost of doing business. if this is full time (you
aren't doing anything else that generates income), then you have to figure
in yourself as the minimum you need to support yourself. don't cheat by
saying hubbie can support you even if you made nothing. take whatever that
figure is annualized and divide by the number of billable weeks you want to
work a year. you need to run your own business and it takes one day a week.
that's ten weeks gone right there. add four weeks for vacation, sickness,
and education. you're under 40 weeks. two assignments a week is a lot of
work and i don't think you want to exceed that. better to have fewer high
paying ones than lots of little ones. this is the absolute minimum you
should charge. you have to charge more than that since you want to do more
than break even.

you don't have to go through all this complicated calculation though. what
do your successful competitors charge? you can't charge big city rates
because you don't live in a big city, but surely you aren't the only one
around where you live. they're pros and charge what they have to so that
they stay in business and make a living. you have to charge about the same
as well. your lowballing will do two things, force them to lower their rates
and possibly go out of business because their margins drop too low, and
force you to keep your rates low so that you end up making money only
because you are being subsidized by your hubbie.

Herb....