On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, keller.schaefer wrote:
> Yes, no doubt. But there still is room for further development. There already
> are 5MP sensors 7.2x5.3mm large. An APS sized sensor with this pixel density
> would have 46 MP. So a good quality 10+ MP APS sensor is nothing unthinkable,
> right?

The noise at ISO 100 on those 7.2x5.3mm sensors is higher than the
noise on the *ist D at ISO 800.  I'd rather have 6 clean megapixels
than 46 noisy ones.

Compare the Olympus E1 to the *ist D.  The pixel size of the E1 is
smaller, but nowhere near as small as the P&S cameras.  The E1 is a
much noisier camera than the *ist D.

alex