A highly subjective, quick and dirty run down of the major Echtacrome slide films (ISO 100 and less):

Velvia: (ISO 50, many people shoot it at ISO 40): Delicious saturated colors, saturated but accurate, fine grained, high contrast (especially at ISO 50), narrow latitude, the standard for many nature photographers. Obviously, very slow.

Provia (ISO 100): Fine grained, good color accuracy and saturation but rather low contrast. Decent latitude. Also the standard for many nature photographers. I bought a brick of it last year - it's OK and I got some good shots using it. I prefer the Kodak emulsions that are a bit punchier but would use Provia without a second thought if need be.

Kodak E10oG: I've only shot one roll of this. It's said to be nearly identical to the E100S film that it replaced. E100S was fine grained, had a bit more saturation and contrast than Provia (IMO), about the same latitude. It's been my standard for serious work - I still have a brick in the freezer and will probably switch to E100G when it's gone. What I like about this film is the color accuracy and saturation - when I look at the fine gradients in a bird's feathers, IMO E100S and Vevlia do the best job of capturing the subtle tonal changes. But I miss too many bird shots with the slow shutter speeds with Velvia, so prefer E100S.

Kodak E100 VS: Very saturated, not quite as fine grained as E100S / E100G, higher contrast. Can be a great film in the right conditions. My #2 choice after E100S.

Sensia: I've hardly ever used it so have no opinion.

Kodak Elite Chrome: Kodak's "consumer" ISO 100 standard saturation slide film. Good stuff, great with reds, a little more grainy and less sharp than E100S.

Kodak Elite Chrome EBX: The high saturation consumer slide film. Wickedly sharp, somewhat grainy, very punchy colors and high contrast.

I've not used the Agfa RSX films for some time, but found them to be quite good a few yeas ago when I did try them out.

Hope this helps -

MCC

At 11:30 AM 1/12/2004 -0600, you wrote:

> Hi
> For Chrome film,some of us TOPDMLers like Kodak 100vs.I also like the Fuji
Provia 100.

> Dave

Are those slide films? What is the difference between the two, in your
opinion?

> Rebekah
> > "a day without sunshine is like, you know, night."

-----

Mark Cassino Photography

Kalamazoo, MI

http://www.markcassino.com