The old 340 GByte drives had a nasty tendency to lockup with the read
head/arm partially in-between its normal operation and park positions. This
happened to me personally; the 1 GByte replacement hasn't exhibited this
phenomenon (yet) but plummeting flash prices have found me not using the
Microdrive much, either.

You can tell this has happened by the audible and multiple 'clicking' noises
the drive makes when you stick it in the slot and it attempts to spin up for
the first five or so seconds; it'll eventually give up and you'll get system
error messages relating to an inability to access it. There is a way to at
least temporarily fix this, and I kid you not......put the drive on a
CompactFlash expansion harness or in a PCMCIA adapter, or in some system
slot that gives you physical access to its bottom edge, then gently tap on
the bottom left corner during the spin-up attempt cycle (if you wait too
long, it won't work, you'll need to remove and reinsert the drive then try
again). An IBM (then, now Hitachi) marketing VP told me this during a
face-to-face meeting at CES a few years back. And it works.

You Microdrive users may want to file this away for future reference. It's
not a matter of 'if' as much as it's a matter of 'when' ;-)
Brian Dipert
Technical Editor: Mass Storage, Memory, Multimedia, PC Core Logic and
Peripherals, and Programmable Logic
EDN Magazine: http://www.edn.com
5000 V Street
Sacramento, CA   95817
(916) 454-5242 (voice), (617) 558-4470 (fax)
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit me at http://www.bdipert.com