I also shoot ***L (*ist D for highest quality/res jpeg).  It's easily
sufficient unto the task.  If I need better, I can switch to Tiff or Raw
on the fly.  To be honest, however, unless I'm also using a tripod there
probably isn't much point.  I have one  Lexar 1GB card, 1 GB IBM
microdrive and a 256 MB eFilm card. If I were going on a trip, I'd
probably buy a few more 1 GB cards.

And that's something I really do like.  Everything that it can do (res,
storage, sensitivity, etc.) I can get anytime I need it.  Except that
tripod, of course. ;-)

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 458-8873
FAX: (540) 458-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/23/04 01:25PM >>>
On 23/1/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>Hey, if the cards are such a good deal, if shooting digital
>is such a good deal, there should be no hesitancy in getting
>as many cards as you can afford and shooting at the highest
>resolution possible.  And of course, if need be, some kind
>of portable storage device to hold the image information.
>Maybe I'm obtuse, but it sure seem that the comments in this
>thread are counter to the comments made by some of the same
>people in the earlier thread.
>
>So, what am I missing here, folks ;-))

Shel, I have never hidden the fact that I shoot large/fine jpeg. My
criteria for selecting a suitable resolution for the vast majority of
my
shooting were these:

What level of quality would be required to produce good inkjet prints
at
a maximum of 16"X11"?

What was the trade-off between RAW and large/fine jpeg WRT how many
pics
would fit in a reasonable space of memory (CF cards).

Two test prints, side by side, illustrated to me that there was no
visible difference between RAW and large/fine jpeg, so the answer was
clear cut for me.

BTW, I have never said that shooting digital is a good deal. I have
always said that I have enjoyed it - it is a hobby, and as such I
don't
have to be able to justify the cost, like anyone doing it for money
would
have to. I've got half-gig cards and that's all I want to pay.

For me it's all about having fun and not justifying anything! LOL.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__
Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk