----- Original Message -----
From: "David Madsen"
Subject: OT:shipping to Canada

> Can anyone tell me if there would be any duties or customs charges
if I
> shipped a used item from the US to Canada using UPS?
>
> David Madsen
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.davidmadsen.com

A used item will come into Canada owing GST on the declared value,
and depending on what the item is, it may also be subject to import
duties and excise taxes.
In addition, UPS will tack on what it calls a brokerage fee, which
will be a minumum of (I believe) C$20.00, or 15% of the declared
value + any duties, whichever is greater.
In the event that the package is opened for valuation at the border,
the declared value may be ignored, and all charges would then be
based on a valueation that Canada Customs assigns to it.
Generally, this valuation is greater than the declared value.
Of course this also raises the amount of brokerage that UPS charges.

If the person you are shipping to is actually home to recieve the
shipment, then there is a possibility that UPS will put the parcel
into your customer's hands, but this is a possibility only.
More likely, UPS will abandon the shipment in the vicinity of your
customer's property line, perhaps on his property, perhaps not.
If this is the case, your customer might recieve his shipment, or it
may be picked up off the street by a third party.
Either way, UPS doesn't care, and they will charge out what they feel
is their fair share, and will send the matter to a collection agent
with no recourse to the shippee, whether or not the delivery was
made, stolen by the driver, or otherwise lost in transit.

I strongly advise anyone shipping goods to Canada to use any shipping
method other than United Parcel Service, and for any Canadian buying
from an out of country shipper to refuse to do business with any
person who insists upon using United Parcel Service as a shipper into
Canada.

William Robb