From: "Frits Wüthrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 06:20, Lawrence Kwan wrote:
> > > When I opened the zip file using the password, McAfee was able to find
> > > it and identify it as W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Wow, I am quite shocked that some of you would continue to open attached
> > file from unknown source.  DON'T RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRAL PROGRAM!
> > Unless you fully expected to receive such a file, JUST DELETE IT if you
> > don't know what it is all about.
> I didn't open the .exe file, I opened the ZIP file, that is quite
> something different. I wouldn't dream of opening the exe file, or pif or
> scr or whatever, I don't rely on my anti virus software to stop it, I
> just wanted to find out what the virus was.
> I don't receive nor read in a Windows environment to begin with.
> So: no need to be shocked in my case.

At
http://www.pchell.com/virus/mimail.shtml
(where there are more removal instruction links)

I found the following information, which would indicate that simply unzipping the file
could trigger the exe-file to automatically run and infect you:

What is the MiMail.A Worm?
MiMail.A is a mass mailing worm that arrives as a zipped attachment in an email. The
zip file has an html file attached. The html file "message.htm" takes advantage of two
known security vulnerabilities,   MHTML exploit and the codebase exploit. The virus
arrives as an email similar to: