Hi,

> problem.  Unfortunately it then runs into a bug with at least one mail
> program which assumes a word followed by a colon at the start of a
> subject line is some variation of fwd: (or Re:, or Sv:, or ...),

well, that's another thing! I don't want to push my luck here, but
"Re:", "Sv:", "Aw:" and other variants are a complete waste of time too.

Whoever thought "Re:" had anything at all to do with replies? It means
'About' and you use it - at least in traditionl paper correspondence -
on any subject line, not just replies. In email subject lines it
serves no useful purpose whatsoever. It's just noise. Junk.
Interference. If I knew how to turn it off in my email client (The Bat!)
I would.

--
Cheers,
 Bob