Somebody said 15 years.  I consider that a long time by today's
standards.

But seriously folks.  The APS sensor is always going to be cheaper.  It
will be the basis of the cameras that are in "high volume" price range
between $300-700.  Once there are lenses out there at the wide end (and
the 14 is wide enough for most folks)  the FF sensor will have to offer
such a massive increase in performance that you'll feel the need to
switch. With the lenses out there, however, the makers will feel a need
to keep the format alive.  Remember, they wanted this format with film
but there wasn't any real advantage over 35 mm.   And if you never go
higher than 8x10, I doubt you'll think the investment is worth it.  No
art here, just business.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University