Tom, many thnaks for your reply.

My apologies for labouring the point slightly, but I've another question
regarding the use of flash.

> The compensation dial always measures compensation from the meter. In other
> words, the compensation isn't measured in relation to your settings, it's
> set in relation to what the camera sees through the lens.
>
> Basically, shifting to manual mode shifts the compensation calculation from
> the ambient meter to the ttl flash meter.

If this is the case, then if I manually set the camera to underexpose by two
stops and just turn the external flash on with no compensation, would this
balance the ambient and flash light correctly?  In other words, the ttl flash
side of things would just use the camera meter and decide, for itself, how
much flash to use for correct exposure, and the fact I'm underexposing would
just cause the background to be slightly underexposed and the areas reached by
the flash would be fine?

I'm a bit unsure of what is meant re. shifting to manual (the second paragraph
I've quoted), does this mean I can only ever use flash compensation in
manual?  I was under the impression that, even in aperture priority, when
flash was used the dual purpose exposure dial became flash compensation (and
actual exposure compensatio is no longer possible).  Just to clarify, I take
it now from your comments that I can only use flash compensation in manual
mode, is this correct?

Sorry to lumber you with so many questions, I hope I'm slowly iterating
towards actually figuring out what the hell is going on with flash....

Matt