Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:33:58 +0000 (GMT)
From: Kostas Kavoussanakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Fill flash in low light - balancing natural and flash
> Secondly, plan to shoot half the set with a flash, half without.

And possibly use different film. I have read here that people dislike
the Delta 3200 with flash; you will no doubt tell us your opinion :-)

It suited my needs very well. I was attempting to shoot some uhh, "gritty" photos in low light with the backgrounds dropping off into black.

However, when I was testing the film in better lit conditions, and with a flash, I was honestly amazed at the level of gradiation recorded on the film. I was just shooting chairs at various distances away with some overhead flourescent light and using my flash at various power settings and stepping through the aperture settings. A lot more detail than I was looking for or expected showed up.

But, I also have a (maybe silly) personal preference to use the products of smaller companies. Nanny-nanny-boo-boo Kodak!

> Third, diffuse that bad-boy. You can make yourself a pretty good diffuser
> by angling your flash head up, and rubber-banding an index card or piece of
> white foamcore to the back of it. It looks silly, but you'll be in the dark
> anyway. I think this will take a stop or two off of what the TTL flash
> metering will guess (so plan accordingly-or maybe don't so you get strong
> stage lighting effect).

I don't think there is a TTL-meter guess. Well it is a guess, but it
reads light off the film while the shot is taken, so if it thinks it
did not get enough light (because the flash ran out, for example), it
will let you know through the indicators. With a powerful flash like
the AF400FTZ or the AF500FTZ (or even better the AF400T), the chance
of this happening are less.

Kostas

Ah-hah, I was always under the impression that the TTL metering worked by recording the amount of light that the film was receiving and then firing the flash at a predetermined level to compensate. But what you're saying is that the flash fires until enough light has been received, and then turns the flash off. Is this correct? I'd really like to know. I've been shooting a ZX-M with (almost uselessly) a 500-FTZ. Since my ZX-5n is in the mail, I've been really looking forward to actually using the TTL flash metering and moving beyond shooting the flash manually....

-m

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms – all in one place at MSN Money! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp