    From: "Tanya Mayer Photography"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Sent: 27/03/04 23:50:01
    To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Subject: OT - A computer Question...

    Sorry to bug you all with my computer problems, yet again, but...

    I have a new system, less than 1 month old, and I have a 100gb hard drive...

    BUT, every few days, I get a warning that tells me that my hard drive is
    almost full and that I need to remove temp files, offline web pages etc to
    free up disk space.

    I am running on Win XP, and when it arrived the drive was already
    partitioned - One partition is called "WinXP Home C:", and is 40gb (this is
    the one that always "fills up").  The second partition is called "Restore
    D:" and is 60gb.

    I have never used XP prior to now, so I am not sure if the partitioning is a
    requirement of the OS, etc, but when I went and looked at the contents of
    each drive, it says that on the larger "Restore D:" partition, "used space
    2.27gb, free space 57.5gb, total space 59.8gb", but it looks as though there
    are no files on it at all.  All of my data, and program files are stored on
    the "WinXP Home C:" part.  Currently (after disk cleanup etc), the C drive
    reads as: "used space 29.2gb, free space 3.94gb, total space 33.1gb).

    Soooooooo, what I am asking is a) When you add up all of the numbers, it
    appears that I only have 93gb of hard drive rather than the full 100gb, does
    anyone know why this is? b) Can somebody explain to me (not too technically
    please!) why the drive is partitioned like this and why I keep getting this
    "disk full" message when I still have almost 60gb of space left on the "D"
    partition.  c) why does the "D" partition appear to have no files on it but
    has 2.27gb "used" d) why doesn't my 'puter use the larger 60gb partition at
    all?!?

    Sorry if this is bombarding you all too much, but I am kind of annoyed that
    I am getting disk full error messages, on a brand new system, that I
    specifically had spec'd out with 100gb hardrive that doesn't appear to
    really be 100gb and that less than half of which is actually being used!

    I will actually remove alot of data in the next few days from the "C" drive
    as alot of it is wedding pics that need to be burnt to cd, but sheesh,
    surely it can't be that my new 'puter is full ALREADY?!?!

    Also, it might be an idea to reply off list so that we don't ignite any
    flames over this being OT etc....

    A BIG TIA,
    tan.