>In a message dated 3/28/2004 5:53:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
The number one culprit behind file fragmentation is Internet Explorer's
Temporary Internet files. Especially if you don't delete them each time you
close the browser.

My favourite configuration of drives is to have 3 partitions (or even
better: 3 physical drives), one for system files and the WindowsXP swap
file, one for Temporary Internet Files, and one for data and Photoshop
Scratch File.

This keeps most of the fragmentation on one drive, and thus don't mess with
the read/write speed of anything else.

I have tried to put the Photoshop Scratch File on either the system
partition or the data partition, but can't see any difference in
performance.

>Jostein

I've never used PS. But from people are saying it must use one LARGE scratch
file. What is the purpose of this? Some sort of buffering? For memory control?
Making it faster? Or providing a workspace? Like the edit/paste space that
the Windows Clipboard provides?

Marnie aka Parker  And I am beginning to be very glad I've never upgraded
from ME to XP. ;-)