----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: OT - A computer Question...

> I've never used PS. But from people are saying it must use one
LARGE scratch
> file. What is the purpose of this? Some sort of buffering? For
memory control?
> Making it faster? Or providing a workspace? Like the edit/paste
space that
> the Windows Clipboard provides?

As soon as Photoshop runs out of RAM (not difficult if you have 256mb
of ram on board) it starts to write to the scratch disk, creating a
tmp file in the process.
If you have a 40mb file open from a 6mp camera, and have half a dozen
layers going, then that temp file might be around 200mb, all on it's
own.
That's why more ram is better than a faster processor for Photoshop
users.
My latest machine has 1.5 gig of ram with Photoshop swapping to a
RAID drive, which is physically separate from the OS drive and it's
paging file.
I don't notice when or if I run out of ram, and I run some fairly
processor intensive applications.

Wanna see something cool, open your device manager and see what Neat
Image does to the system resources......

> Marnie aka Parker  And I am beginning to be very glad I've never
upgraded
> from ME to XP. ;-)

Her computer has a wonky installation from the sounds of it.
XP is as close to a plug and play OS as you can get.

William Robb