Can't argue with this logic. OK... Anyone think Pentax will introduce a digital back for the 67II?

Tom C.

From: "Mark Cassino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Future Practicality of Film
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:37:10 -0400

One of the most interesting aspects about photography at present is that all
of the current options have limited future practicality.  So if your
criteria is that you want to buy a camera now that will still be of value in
5 years - no matter what you do, it won't succeed.

No matter what digital camera you purchase, a better one will be coming
along.  Today's 6 megapixel DSLR's a nice, but digital will only get better
and, if other digital revolutions can be used as a guide, they will get a
LOT better a LOT faster.  If a few years, our *ist-D's will look like silly
toys.

Film of course will be eclipsed.  I don't think it will completely disappear
in the next few years, but it seems pretty certain that it will be more
expensive and there will be fewer choices in the future.  Oddly, since
starting with the *ist-D I find myself shooting more B&W film and doing more
experimentation in the darkroom to coax out a certain look.  I also
purchased a 6x7 system because for some subjects that need lots of
resolution, medium format is still better than 6 mp digital. Using film make
sense in some applications in the short term - and MF prices are dropping
fast enough that you can buy a setup at a price that can justifiably be
written off in 5 years. But in a few years I will probably use either a MF
digital back or a higher resolution DSLR for what I use the 6x7 for now.

So, live for the moment!

- MCC

Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, MI