Hi, gang.

Adelheid and I emerged from the deep forests of Shenandoah last night,
to be installed in a nice hotel in Roanoke. They sent us kinda odd looks
when we walked into the lobby, and we felt rather misplaced in our
hiking clothes in this more urban setting.

Our stay under the canopy of Shenandoah was wonderful. It is a national
park that protects a stretch of Appalachian mountains. It's long and
narrow, and is confined to the slopes of the mountains on each side. A
road called the Skyline Drive goes along the crest of the mountains. An
somewhat paradoxical name, since one can harldy see the sky at all under
the roof of oak leaves. There are, however, many spectacular viewpoints
to both the east and the west side of the mountains. Birds of prey were
soaring on the upwinds on both sides, and other wildlife made frequents
appearances along the road. Red deers seemed common as muck, and not at
all afraid of people or cars. Also, we finally found out what turkeys
look like before prepared for Thanksgiving. A small predator looking
like a cross between an otter and a mink intrigued us (any ideas what we
saw?), and large, beautiful butterflies were plentiful.

At the highest point in the park, we made a hiking detour to the "Stony
Man" summit. An outcrop of rock that gave a fantastic view over most of
the northern half of the park. While we were there, we got flooded by a
class from a nearby highschool. Cheerful an curious as all kids, but
with suspiciously many SLRs amongst themselves. Adelheid had a chat with
their teacher, and learned that they were a photography class on a bonus
trip to mark the end of term.

Another detour brought us to a site used for relocation of young
peregrine falcons. Apparently, young peregrines often suffer an early
death when the parents choose to nest in bridges or other structures
over water. On their first flight out of the nest, they typically try to
land on water. So the young birds are removed from their nest just
before they take to the wings, and are installed in abandoned nests in
the cliffs of Shenandoah. According to the ranger we talked to, they had
been quite successful in this approach, and had observed several of the
relocated birds returning to their new nests to breed after a couple of
years.

After a look at the map we got an itchy feeling that the distance to GFM
was still more than we could comfortably handle in a day, so we decided
to go on to Roanoke to spend Wednesday night rather than spending one
more night in the park. It was sad to leave such a great place behind.

Once this is posted to the List, we'll be off on our last leg (no pun
intended) towards GFM. This time along the Blue Ridge Drive. It will be
great to meet up with the others tonight.

I'll post another link once I get a few pics uploaded.

Cheers, and thanks for reading,

Jostein